Modular and Mobile Housing
Ideal for the home owner who wants to extend their existing property or as a easily deployable housing solution for personal, business or community needs.
Home extensions, mobile holiday homes, pop-up hotels or work force and community housing are all easily constructed and modular in nature, forming any structure up to 12 stories high.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where are we based?
We have offices at 4 Loop Street, Cape Town, filled with our designers and sales team. Book and appointment and come in for a free consultation!
Why is it so expensive?
If low cost housing is only habitable for five years, then over several decades rebuilding the home countless is times is going to cost a lot more than investing in more expensive materials at the very start and building the home once (dramatic, but you get the idea!).
How long does it take to build?
- The units vary as they are all customizable to the client. However, you can usually expect your unit to be complete between 10 - 12 weeks.
- 2 weeks design preparation, 4 weeks structural build, 4 weeks interior fitting and 2 weeks of testing.
Are the design customizable?
Yes, all of our units are designed specifically to meet your specifications. Depending on the space available, eco-friendly finishes and usage of the unit, we will make the perfect unit for you!
What sizes do they come in?
- Containers come in 3 sizes; 3m, 6m and 12m. Our standard units are 6000x2440.
- All units have the same width of 2440 to meet standard transportation laws. So the square meters for a 6m unit is only 15m2!
- Our units are modular, so we can put multiple units next to or on top of each other by connecting the ISO's together and removing relevant partitions.
- The units also go vertical up to 12 stories!
Are the units modular?
- Our units are modular, so we can put multiple units next to each other by connecting the ISO's together and removing relevant partitions.
- The units can also go vertical up to 12 stories!
- You can also cantilever the units and put them at different angles to create an innovative space.
Are the units insulated?
Depending on the usage of the unit we can insulate it. This can be done in multiple ways;
- We clad the outside to prevent direct sunlight onto the metal
- 40-50mm insulated chromodeck panels or refrigeration panels
- 50mm insulated compressed foam
Are they ventilated?
Depending on the usage of the unit, it can be ventilated. This can be done in multiple ways;
- Air conditioning unit
- Installing air vents
- A whirl bird on the top of the unit
How can I get them into my garden?
We deliver the units on a flat bed crane truck. The crane can reach over walls and garden fences and place the unit exactly where you would like.
What is the longevity of the units?
- We've been in touch with various suppliers to inquire about the length of time containers last for. The consensus seems to be that a new shipping container will last for over 25 years without any form of maintenance. This figure will vary depending on the climate the shipping container is in; however a minimum of 25 years seems like a fair representation.
- Good cladding won't be damaged by rot and termites and can last over 50 years! Another effective measure that can be used is undertaking restoration action as soon as you notice either rust or corrosion. The longer you leave the rust un-treated, the more damage it can do; treating it early will limit this damage.
Will the units rust on the coast?
- The containers are sandblasted and treated accordingly to prevent rust; wire brushed, primed and painted.
- See question 10 for more information.
What foundation work needs to be done?
Depending on the usage of the unit and current foundation we will need to do one/multiple of the following:
- Put down a concrete slab/4 blocks (unit is on 4 stilts)
- Connect to plumbing
- Connect to main power line
What do we need through municipality to put this down?
- Almost all building activity requires building plan approval
- The specific approval will change according to the usage of the unit
- Easier than normal building plans
- Building Plan Preparation & Submission
- We have a lot of plans available with paperwork required and will assist as much as possible
How do the units run off the grid?
- Battery powers the whole unit, which can get charged by solar panels. You have the option of solar geyser or gas geyser and an inductive or gas stove.
- Depending on the amount of Kva required and power output, you may need to charge the battery periodically to ensure it does not run flat.